photo Banner2_zpslk6i2cow.jpg

Author Topic: 8'1" from deck to soffit  (Read 6190 times)

Offline jkupcha

8'1" from deck to soffit
« on: July 17, 2011, 12:25:24 PM »
I have 8'1" from deck to bottom of soffett and would like to wall mount my Vista on the vinyl siding. The deck is 10 foot wide and also has a slight pitch to keep rain from puddling, about 3" over the 10' length.  Will I need to adjust the Vista's pre-set pitch or will the factory pitch work?
   Also my siding is vinyl but it is the type that looks like shakes. Very similiar to regular vinyl siding except it is a little firmer and the overlap ridge is smaller at 3/8"  instead of the regular siding of about 3/4".  Does anyone know if a zip tool will also raise the edge of that so I can look for studs?   Thanks-joe

Offline SunSetter Dealer

• Global Moderator
    • United Window Company
Re: 8'1" from deck to soffett
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »
Joe, we basically have to adjust the pitch on every awning we install. The factory settings are never straight. Its very easy to adjust the pitch of the awning. If you have shake vinyl siding that comes in the 4ft lengths the zip tool will not work. You will have to find the studs from the inside and go over a window or a door into the header. Drill real small pilot holes when you located the studs or headers to make sure it is solid. Get a 4 inch long 1/8 inch or smaller drill bit. If you do miss at least you can seal the little hole and it wont be noticeable. Give me a call if you have anymore questions.
Bill
800-663-2131 

Offline jkupcha

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 07:15:06 AM »
Thanks!
    Also we are at the Jersey Shore. A little windy at times and there are retractable awnings on just about every house. Sunsetter recommends just 4 brackets for the 16" however walking around and looking at all the other awnings I notice that they have 5 and even 6 brackets. Is that overkill? Is 4 enough or should I call SunSetter and ask to purchase another bracket?

Thanks Again - Joe

Offline SunSetter Dealer

• Global Moderator
    • United Window Company
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 03:30:18 PM »
Before 2010 SunSetter shipped 5 brackets with the 14ft - 16ft awnings. Now they only recommend 4 brackets. I think you would be fine with 4. I have seen 2 so far in the last 6 years that were damaged from the wind. The arms that connect to the back rail break before the awning is pulled from the house.
Bill

Offline jkupcha

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 07:45:36 PM »
OK Bill,
   I will trust you and use 4.  Thanks so much for the advice. - Joe

Offline jkupcha

Re: 8'1" from deck to soffit
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »
Hey guys
  Well after storing my 2 16 foot awnings all winter me and my neighbor put them up last weekend. It went really smooth. THe installation was over vinyl siding. We purchased some plastic spacers from Bill's ebay website and they were the key. We first drilled a pilot hole. Next with a 1" paddle blade bit we cut the siding in the exact size as the spacers. Here is the key- because we had 4 brackets, we places the outside 2 first then stretched a line between the 2 and placed the remaining 2 on the line ensuring that all four were exactly in line. I know that sounds simple but I had never heard that tip before and it saved us alot of work getting alignment just right, After that brackets were up the rest is a piece of cake!  Just hoist the square rail and tighten bolts.  lastly because we live near the Jersey shore in a higher wind area, we attached bunge cords with very light tensioning from the tip of each leading edge to the deck railing and that keeps the awning from moving in just about the heaviest wind we get.  We adjusted the slope to almost flat because we never leave the awning out when we are not there so no threat of rain pooling on the canopy, but just incase we left a very slight slope. I will post pictures soon -Joe

Offline SunSetter Dealer

• Global Moderator
    • United Window Company
Re: 8'1" from deck to soffit
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 03:12:27 PM »
Joe I'm glad everything went great with the installation. Please post some pictures of the awning.
Thanks
Bill