photo Banner2_zpslk6i2cow.jpg

Author Topic: Mounting to house with aluminum siding with fiberboard sheathing  (Read 3597 times)

Offline ITFlyer

I have a 20 foot motorized awning ready to mount. My house has aluminum siding. Underneath the siding is fiberboard sheathing, which is then mounted to studs. My suspicion is that I cannot just drill through the siding and fiberboard into the studs, as the fiberboard is too soft, and will not support the bracketry, causing the the siding to dent and the awning to droop.

I'd like to avoid having to mount a header board if at all possible, as this would entail cutting a large area of siding away, potentially introducing leaks, plus introduce the maintenance involved in painting the header itself to prevent its deterioration and maintaining the caulk sealing around its periphery.

I have some round aluminum one inch spacers that the lag screws are intended to go through. My plan is to use a hole saw to cut holes the size of the spacers through the siding and the underlying fiberboard, to the stud underneath, push the spacer up against the stud, and then mount the brackets up against the spacers. The lag screws would then go through the brackets, through the spacers, and into the studs. I could then lay a small bead of caulk around the circumference of the spacers to seal them against the siding to prevent moisture intrusion.

Is there any problem with my plan that anyone can see, or is there perhaps a better way of going about this that I haven't thought of?

Offline SunSetter Dealer

• Global Moderator
    • United Window Company
Re: Mounting to house with aluminum siding with fiberboard sheathing
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 09:40:12 AM »
That would be fine. We have to do that when the house has Dryvit. We drill a 1 inch hole and use our nylon spacers.
Bill