photo Banner2_zpslk6i2cow.jpg

Author Topic: How Do I Located A Stud?  (Read 8441 times)

Offline Eddy

How Do I Located A Stud?
« on: August 09, 2007, 04:32:51 PM »
I have vinyl siding how should I go about finding the studs to mount the brackets on?

Offline SunSetter Dealer

• Global Moderator
    • United Window Company
Re: How Do I Located A Stud?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 05:07:18 PM »
Eddy,
SunSetter does send a electronic stud finder with every awning. The only time we use it is when the have Stucco or Aluminum siding on the exterior of the house. Since you have vinyl siding you can get a zip tool to unlock a piece of siding to find the studs. Here is a picture of a Zip Tool:

To properly use the zip tool to unlock a panel of vinyl siding, proceeds as follows:

1.Wedge the curved tip of the tool blade under the end of the overlapping panel and hook onto the back lip of the buttlock.
You can try starting at an end of the panel where you will find a slightly enlarged hole for the tool to slide into, or you can look for a somewhat loose spot in the panel joint.

2.Unlock the siding by exerting downward pressure and slide the tool along the length of the siding panel 
Sometimes you can unzip the siding with your finger once it is started with the zip tool.

3. Once you have a piece unlocked lift up the siding and try to find a joint in the plywood sheeting or a nail head. When you do find one make sure a stud is there by hammering a nail or screw. On typical house framing studs are located 16 inches on center. Always double check before you lock the siding back in.

4. To lock the siding back in using your hand, push or pound the piece to lock it back into place. Work the piece into the lock down its length.

Eddy if you have anymore questions feel free to call me at: 800-663-2131 :)
Bill

www.UnitedWindowCo.com